Process improvement methods
Generic construction process improvement methods
are developed within COSMOS project
"Construction process models"
of STAR research program
"System engineering in construction"
at VTT Building Technology
Figure: The underlying rationale of lean and rapid construction is to aggressively reduce the cost share of non value adding activities.
- Time as a driver for waste elimination and value increase
- The STAR goal of 75 % time reduction
- Conceptual framework of speeded construction
- Implementation strategy for speeded construction
- Mainly as a basis for other tasks and projects in the programme:
- Generic construction process models
- Modelling method and tool
- Concurrent design
- Design for constructability
- IT support for rapid construction
Impact on process lead time
- The framework and principles will directly and indisrectly contribute to the acceleration of construction.
Point of contact:
Lauri Koskela, VTT Building Technology, P.O.Box 18022,
FIN-02044 VTT, Finland, Tel: +358 0 456 4556,
Fax: +358 0 456 6251, Email:
Updated 11.8.1995 by