COMET Multimedia Tool for Consultant - Client Interaction
An interactive multimedia prototype is under development to support consultant - client sessions.
The system should guide the sessions, give information, and record the client's feedback.
The work is part of the COMET project
"Customer Oriented Design Methods"
of STAR research program
"Systems Engineering in Construction"
at VTT Building Technology.
- In a building project it is essential to understand the needs of the desires of
the client (or the end user of the building, depending of the type of the project).
In the architectural practice, traditionally the clients wishes have been found out by
- verbal consultation
- interactive scetching
- presenting reference material (e.g. by vistis to interesting buildings).
- Even if these methods are still applicable, it is also possible to systematize and guide
the communication process. There is also a need to create specific tools based on the nature of the consultant practice.
This kind of a tool would be used together with the client and the consultant.
- The goal of the project is to create a multimedia prototype of this kind a tool.
In a multimedia system the information can be visual and presented in a systematized order.
The collection of information can be selected to reflect problems of a specific field (e.g. 'office architecture').
- The idea of the tool is bidirectional:
1) to give information about possibilities to the client
2) to registrate the client's opinions for the consultant.
- The basic problems recognized here are:
- what kind of knowledge would be included in the tool?
- how is the session guided interactively to be the most efficient?
- how are the user's feedback and opinions recorded?
- The prototype is produced in three phases:
1) a preliminary version is produced to get financing and to demonstrate basic properties of the system
2) specific material and browsing structure are created for the prototype (for an architectural practice)
3) the final prototype is realised.
Point of contact: Markku Norvasuo, VTT Building Technology, P.O.Box 18011,
02044 VTT, Finland, Tel: +358-0-456 6269, Fax: +358-0-456 7006. Email:
Updated 30.6.1995 by
Markku Norvasuo ,