Generic Product Data Model
A generic product data model (also called OOCAD-model)
is being developed within PICTOR project
"Product Model Evironment for Construction Projects"
of STAR research program
"System engineering in construction" at VTT Building Technology.
The purpose of the generic product data model is to provide basic
concepts and structure for building product models to support implementation
of product models and exchange of product model data.
- Product data models describe in a formal manner the representation of
building information. This forms a basis for implementation of product
modelling tools, and for sharing and exchanging of product model data in
computer interpretable form.
- A generic product data model defines the basic concepts and mechanisms
for describing product structure, its properties and grouping of objects.
These concepts are generic (i.e. independent of application domain), to which
application specific data can be mapped.
- The generic product data model forms the basis for implementation of
generic product model databases, and product modelling tools (like
browser, CAD tools and
product model environment) using various development
- The model also enables exchange of simple product model
data in standardised format.
Impact on process lead time
Product modelling, information sharing and exchange of product model data in computer
interpretable form contributes to construction process lead time reduction by:
- Laying basis for systematic, integrated management of information and supporting
product model applications throughout the life cycle of buildings, thus improving
the information process of construction.
- Eliminating need for human interpretation, errors and rework in data exchange.
- Promoting data exchange to be done on the level of product data instead of
Point of contact:
VTT Building Technology
P.O.Box 1801, FIN-02044 VTT, Finland
Tel: +358 0 456 6948, Fax: +358 0 456 6251
Updated 30.6.1995 by
Kari Karstila ,
Computer Integrated Construction research team,