Object Oriented Product Model Environment
An object oriented product modelling environment is being developed
within PICTOR project
"Product Model Evironment for Construction Projects"
of STAR research program
"System engineering in construction" at VTT Building Technology.
The product model environment is a combination of object oriented
database implementation of the generic product data model,
product model browser and data access interfaces enabling management and
exchange of product model data.
- Object oriented technologies (programming languages and databases) provide
suitable environment for the development of product modelling tools for the
management of complex product model data.
- The product model environment which is a general purpose tool for creation and management
of product models (structure, objects, their relationships). It also serves as a central
product model repository to which various applications (e.g.
HVAC design application and construction planning application)
can be integrated via data access interfaces.
- The product model database will be populated with product model data from a case project.
- The product model environment forms the core tool/testbench for testing, demonstating and
management of building product models.
- Environment's object oriented database and generic class libraries for model management can
be used in the development of tailored product model applications.
Impact on process lead time
- Promotes migration towards product modelling, which eliminates need for human interpretation,
errors and rework in data exchange; and lays basis for model-based applications for automating
routine tasks in building design and construction planning.
Point of contact:
VTT Building Technology
P.O.Box 1801, FIN-02044 VTT, Finland
Tel: +358 0 456 4579, Fax: +358 0 456 6251
Updated 30.6.1995 by
Kari Karstila ,
Computer Integrated Construction research team,